Work & Bio

Randolph S. Hewton

Born in 1888
 / Died in 1960

View biography... View selected works...
Biography

Randolph Stanley Hewton
June 12, 1888 – March 17, 1960

He was born in Maple Grove, Quebec and studied with William Brymner in Montreal, going on to study at the Académie Julian in Paris. He served overseas during World War I, taking part in the Somme offensive, and was awarded the Military Cross in 1918. After the war, he worked for Miller Brothers, paper box manufacturers, and became company president in 1921. He left the company to concentrate on painting but had returned to the position of company president by 1926. Hewton also married Isobel Monk (née Robertson) around this time. In 1933, he moved away from Montreal when Miller Brothers moved to Glen Miller, Ontario.

Hewton was a founding member of the Canadian Group of Painters. He was admitted to the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts in 1934. He helped found the Beaver Hall Group, a group of Canadian women painters based in Montreal, in 1920.

Hewton died in Belleville, Ontario at the age of 71.

His works are held in the collections of the National Gallery of Canada, the Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec and the Art Gallery of Ontario.

Courtesy Wikipedia

Randolph Stanley Hewton

Randolph Stanley Hewton, painter (b at Maple-Grove, Qué 12 June 1888; d at Belleville, Ont 17 Mar 1960). He studied under William Brymner in Montréal (1903) and at the Académie Julian in Paris (1908-13). In Paris he met A.Y. Jackson (1912), whose influence on his style would be considerable. This influence and the impressionism to which he was exposed in Paris can be seen in his early Canadian landscapes. His interpretation was sympathetic to that of the Group of Seven but was not initially well received in his native Québec (1913). Perhaps his strongest development was in figure painting and portraiture, in which he successfully combined the traditional fundamentals with contemporary influences, as in Sleeping Woman (1929). He was a founding member of the Canadian Group of Painters (1933) and was elected to the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts in 1934.

Courtesy The Canadian Encylcopedia